This is Shanon from OCD in First. I have to share one of my favorite classroom games of all times - SPOT THAT WORD! This game helps students build speed with words that they have been introduced to or that they should know. We play this game during centers, during inside recess, and during our pull-out programs. By far, this is one of the kids favorite games as well. They are also allowed to bring the game home if they have enough tickets for that incentive.
Here's how it works:
1. You can have up to 8 players, but we always do 2-4 players.
2. The stack of 50+ cards goes in the center of the group.
3. Each person takes one card and then the top card is turned over in the middle of the deck.
4. Each person is trying to find their one match with the card in the middle. (Each card only has one match, but each match is different.
5. Whoever says their word first (AND PROVES IT) gets the center card. They turn both of these over, pick another card, and then turn the center card over, and then round 2 starts. The other players keep their card until they can say their match first.
Example: Let's say number 12 is the center deck. As you can see, card 10 has a match with card 12 - the word POT. Card 11 and card 12 have the word NOT. Whoever can say their match first, wins that round.
I'm serious - this game is ADDICTING!! I have a sample game here for you to try. Remember, though - the real game has over 50+ cards.